school
For 2 days in a row, I arrive in school (2 different schools) in very 'teacherly' garb, armed with the kids' nametags and a guitar...to find that classes have been cancelled. They 'forgot' to inform me. I'm just thankful that the schools are not too far away and cancelled classes mean I have time to myself...which isn't what I crave for these days since I'm pretty much by myself.
guitar
I'm terrible at the guitar, but the kids love to sing (often off-tune). So I've had to practise before I go and teach a song. My finger tips are now calloused. Gone are the days when I had the luxury of having a guitarist or pianist around when I teach songs (mission trips). But it's been really fun to pick it up again. I still find it difficult to sing and play at the same time, so I need to practise quite a lot. But you should see the look on some of the kids' faces when they're singing...just warms my heart to see them enjoying themselves, singing in English. Every Saturday, there's a small group of them coming to my house to learn how to play the guitar. And because most of them don't own a guitar, I opened up my house for them to come and practise on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons (after school). And it's been great to be able to interact with them and get to know them better.
motorbike
I'm definitely more confident on the bike now, but it's still scary. And to be honest, there have been a couple of close calls...I try my best to be as careful and alert as I can possibly be...and I pray all the time. I'm thankful that He's kept me safe so far. I've travelled more than 2000km in less than 3 months!
For 2 days in a row, I arrive in school (2 different schools) in very 'teacherly' garb, armed with the kids' nametags and a guitar...to find that classes have been cancelled. They 'forgot' to inform me. I'm just thankful that the schools are not too far away and cancelled classes mean I have time to myself...which isn't what I crave for these days since I'm pretty much by myself.
guitar
I'm terrible at the guitar, but the kids love to sing (often off-tune). So I've had to practise before I go and teach a song. My finger tips are now calloused. Gone are the days when I had the luxury of having a guitarist or pianist around when I teach songs (mission trips). But it's been really fun to pick it up again. I still find it difficult to sing and play at the same time, so I need to practise quite a lot. But you should see the look on some of the kids' faces when they're singing...just warms my heart to see them enjoying themselves, singing in English. Every Saturday, there's a small group of them coming to my house to learn how to play the guitar. And because most of them don't own a guitar, I opened up my house for them to come and practise on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons (after school). And it's been great to be able to interact with them and get to know them better.
motorbike
I'm definitely more confident on the bike now, but it's still scary. And to be honest, there have been a couple of close calls...I try my best to be as careful and alert as I can possibly be...and I pray all the time. I'm thankful that He's kept me safe so far. I've travelled more than 2000km in less than 3 months!

No comments:
Post a Comment