Friday, February 11, 2011

Following Christ...back to Thailand again.

(Sharing in church bulletin article in January 2011)


God’s Calling and Preparation
11 years ago, I went on my first mission trip to Thailand as a curious observer. Needless to say, I never thought I would one day be a missionary to Thailand.  He deeply impressed upon my heart the great need for workers in Thailand, a land where many live in much darkness and pain beneath their smiles. In these 11 years, God prepared me for His use in Thailand. He led me to serve in the Thai ministry (teaching English to the Thai workers), learn the Thai language, go on numerous mission trips, be trained as a secondary school teacher, serve as an intern in church, serve in the Sunday school, choir and youth ministry, be equipped in Bible college and explore living and serving in Thailand as an associate missionary with OMF for 2 years. 


My Life in God’s Hands
“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last.” John 15:16a
Indeed, God is the one who has chosen me, and my life is not my own, but Christ’s for He has redeemed me from sin and death. As a Christian, it’s a constant struggle to want to control my own life, and many times, it seems to be so much easier to live my life as I wish, independent from Christ. And so He brings me on a journey where I have to learn to die to myself, to step out of my comfort zones, to leave behind all that is familiar and predictable and follow Him to a land where I will be an alien, plowing and sowing on hard ground, where I will face disappointment and rejection. I know, however, that this is His work, His will and He will ultimately bring glory to His own name. 


Dependence on Christ
“…apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5b
In my two years in Thailand, God showed me how weak and helpless I really am when I’m in an environment where I can no longer function in my old, independent ways.  I had to depend on Him to meet my financial needs through His people back home. I had to rely on fellow missionaries and local believers for companionship and to help me with my physical needs in a new and foreign land. I had to rely on His promises and go to Him on my knees, and even asking others to pray for me whenever I felt fearful, exhausted, downcast or defeated. And I will continue to learn to abide in Him and rely on Him, for He has never forsaken me in my distress nor have I ever been in need. I am so thankful for how He has been faithfully supplying all my needs, and oftentimes more abundantly, and in more ways than I could ever ask for. 


The Long Haul…
I have surrendered my life to God and where He leads me, I will follow, step by step. For now, I have committed myself to serve in Thailand as a missionary for as long as He wills. I have joined a mission organization, OMF (Overseas Missionary Fellowship), as a full member, to join them in their work with the Thais. God has always given me much joy when I work with young people (as a teacher, youth worker & missionary – both in S’pore & Thailand), and it is an area of ministry that God has prepared and gifted me for. I’ve always thought that I’ll be joining a church-planting team in the Northeast, however, through my 2 years in Thailand, God has somehow steered me towards the student ministry in Central Thailand, where teams reach out to youths, especially university students, in partnership with the local churches. I will be spending 3 months at Lopburi Language Centre, where, together with the leaders in Central Thailand, it will be determined which student ministry team I will be joining.


Cleared to go
So far, I have managed to meet all but one of the required clearances for me to depart for the field. I have cleared the following areas - Field (OMF in Thailand), and immunization), Home (OMF Home Council in Singapore) and Medical (health checks, psychological assessments). Pending the last clearance to raise the required financial support, I should be leaving for Thailand in early March.


Journey with me…
As I have mentioned, I do not walk this path alone. God is with me, and together with Him, He also brings along many faithful fellow-believers in the body of Christ to support me in various ways. Your partnership through prayers, encouragement and financial support plays a very important part of my journey in Thailand as a missionary.


Pray with me, and for me…
1. Please pray that I will be able to raise the required financial support before I leave in March. Pray that I will trust the Lord to supply my needs and learn to be content in all circumstances.
2. Pray also that God will lead faithful brothers and sisters-in-Christ who will commit themselves to support me in prayer and financially.
3. Pray that the application for my long-term visa and work permit in Thailand will be successful.
4. During this period of time before I actually go to the field, pray that I will be able to spend quality time seeking the Lord and prepare myself well. Pray also that I will be able to spend time meeting up with friends and supporters. 
5. Saying goodbyes and transitions can be very difficult. Pray for God to sustain me with His strength.
6. Pray that God will sustain me spiritually, physically and emotionally when I’m in Thailand. Please pray especially that I will be able to nurture good and stable fellowship in the team that I will be assigned to, where there’s mutual accountability and trust.
7. Pray for wisdom and boldness for me, and for God to prepare their hearts as I do feel led to share the gospel with my parents before I leave. Pray also that God will help as I seek to link up my parents to help them get acquainted with my leaders and friends in church.


Thank you for your prayers!

No comments: