Thursday, August 18, 2005

updates...

Haven't posted for quite some time...luckily won't get cobwebs here...*lame*...think i've been either too busy or too lazy to write...

It's been pretty hectic since school started. Not that classes and homework are heavy going, but somehow, I seem to be running around a lot! Acaan Joy arrived...so have been trying my best to play host. Somehow, I always feel like such a bad host...Singaporeans are always so busy! Think I've made about 4 trips to the ICA in the last 2 or 3 weeks...the queue there is pretty scary siah. It's really not easy for Thai people to extend their stay here. She'll need to extend her social visit one or two more times...before her student pass is ready...so please join me in prayer! (sometimes, the officers there can really be fierce...scary!) Did a bit of running around when the Korean mission team came...there's no Thai pastors around and Jinju had to settle lots of stuff...thought I'd be the good host and help out a lil...did get into a bit of trouble at a dimsum buffet though...ended up crying in the toilet...stressed! (i'll keep u wondering...if you're trying to figure out what happened)

Pray for me...just handed in my application form to OMF...next stage of application...lots of paperwork. I was surfing and looking at the OMF website one day when I came across a programme called Teachers for Thailand; I'd gone to the OMF website before, but I didn't remember seeing this programme. I had been thinking about which mission agency to join. Actually in the beginning, I really didn't know what to look for. I did have something sketchy in mind - organised, structured programme that would allow me to go to Thailand for 2 years...for me to have a taste of how being a missionary would be like, learn the language, the culture and learn how ministry is like there... As I spoke to various ppl from the different mission agencies, I couldn't really see how I was going to fit in what they were already doing in Thailand. Somehow, nothing quite 'clicked'.

But when I saw the TFT programme and started reading every single page of information there was...I began to get really excited...it was exactly what I was looking for...even BETTER than what I was looking for! Basically, OMF will find you a placement to teach English in a university in Thailand (placement of about 2 years...depending), and at the same time, you will be attached to a church planting team. On one hand, I'll have a platform to live among the Thai people and interact with them, learn more about them, build relationships with them...and on the other hand, learn from the missionaries and church planting team, and work with them to reach out to the people...how ideal can it get?

I called up OMF to ask about the programme...the only down side was that no Singaporean (or any other Asian for the matter) has been involved in this programme, but it was mostly Caucasians from either America/Canada or Europe I think. So even then, there was that little nagging thought that maybe it won't be as easy to find a placement for an Asian. But as I prayed about this, and spoke to a couple of people about this...God once again reassured me...to trust in Him...to lead me and direct me in the way I should go. So I did...I submitted the forms, and now I'm praying that God was show me the way He wants me to go...

Pray that I'll be patient and trust God in this time of waiting...that I'll be sensitive to His leading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No yellowies! Always like that in china always wanting the whities. Get paid more for being white and if you a girl with blonde hair get paid so much more again.

Cherry Kang said...

hey, have faith ! pray for open doors.