Thursday, September 22, 2005

Even to your old age and gray hairs...

"Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am He. I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4

I've always had the fear that one day, I will grow old and senile, lose control of my bowels, and be a burden to the people around me. I've always had this ability to picture the very worst case senarios somehow...but recently, memorizing this verse...God spoke and reassured me.

This semester, for Spiritual Development class, we have to memorise 36 verses from The Promises - Navigators scripture memory series. I thought it was going to be a dread actually. But somehow, God always has surprises...

This same teacher taught Mentoring Leadership last semester and somehow I could never really grasp what she was trying to get across....(it's me...not her)...so I didn't exactly found that class very useful. But slowly, God spoke to me...through the Great Commandment in Matthew 28:19-20...and so I embarked on a journey of being a mentor...to disciple people and teaching them to obey His teaching. And it has been an amazing journey...

This semester, somehow, memorizing scripture has really deepened my relationship with God. Not because I am now armed with more verses in my head to show off or that I've accumulated brownie points with God by memorizing His Words. But somehow, with God's words inside my head, He speaks to me with those verses...when I pray, or think, or worry over something, some of the verses I memorise would pop into my head...then it really feels like God is speaking to me...I know God speaks...it's His Words...that speaks directly to the very thing I'm thinking or praying or worrying about...He advices, assures, rebukes, reminds, teaches through these verses...not at the point of time when I'm memorizing these verses, but when I need to know His thoughts, His ways, His teachings... and that's really precious.

And yes...day after day...I'm approaching old age...not really getting gray hair yet...but I guess that will come too...but I know He will sustain me...carry me...rescue me....it is He...

No comments: