Friday, June 30, 2006

Love not the World...

I'd be lying if I said I really have nothing to blog about. Sometimes I think I'm just to lazy to type it all out. There are some really precious lessons I've learnt that I want to share...sometimes, I'm just bursting to share with someone about what God has taught me...and sometimes I do...but good things OUGHT to be shared...so here goes... (WARNING: this is going to be long)

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.” – 1John 2:15-17

1 John 2:15-16 ...these verses never fail to speak to me whenever I review them (memory verses…I’ll talk about memorizing scripture another day…or have I already?)

Anyway…earlier this year when I was still teaching, I came across this verse again…quite a number of times…came across this study on not loving the world at the Grace to You website. It’s like a free book download thing…so I did and printed it out to read during my QTs in school. I learnt much from the notes and God reminded many things…especially about letting go of the desires that can just cling on so annoyingly to us…something without even our being quite aware of it…

If you want to gain more…go and download the thing yourself and have God’s word speak to you…

Here’s just bits and pieces of what I’ve learnt from it…kind of like a preview if you’re interested. If you want the edited version (1 word document...won't waste so much paper printing it cos i've edited it properly), just ask me for it...i'll email it to you...i dunno how to upload it here...*heh*

A command from GOD
The verses are clear…it’s not an advice…it’s a command…NOT to love the world…NOT to love the system Satan has set here on earth…greed, lust, chasing after things that are temporal…chasing after romantic love, happiness, self-fulfilment…endless pursuit of things that we’ll never be fully contented with.

Flirting with the World
We cannot love BOTH God AND the world…as Christians…we struggle with that…there are many times…we try…but we end up flirting with the world…entertaining thoughts of giving in to our desires and wants…giving priority to what WE want…and do what WE want to do…putting OURSELVES as the centres of our lives…

Love, not Hate?
HATE…I thought a Christians is NOT to hate. But then…where there is LOVE, there has to be HATE. Many are mistaken when they think we are to LOVE all…all things…but if we love God, we have to hate Satan…if we love good, we are to hate evil…if we love truth, we are to hate falsehood. I’m not saying that we are to HATE ppl…but we are to HATE sin…wrong mindsets…wrong acts…NOT the person.

Tread carefully… In the World, but Not of It
When our lives become inconsistent with who we are, we need to activate our wills to become what we should be…our default setting is SIN & LOVING the WORLD…we need to work at obeying God…it is not something that becomes automatic once we are born-again…we are given the Holy Spirit…but we need to ACTIVATE our will…and OBEY…and battle against sin. It’s not easy…but it’s possible. Many times…we think that we can just sail through life as a Christian…that’s not what He says in His Word. We must be careful NOT to love the world…NOT to be attached to the things of this world…to the pleasures this world offers. We are to be IN the world…but not OF it…to carefully INTERACT with the world…but NOT be SUBMERGED in it…that’s a really tough thing to do…but again, not possible. We tend to make excuses and find opportunities to just get our feet wet…before we know it…we can be in the deep waters…
Although Christians have been chosen out of the world, we still rub shoulders with it. That's inevitable. Living the Christian life involves carefully interacting with the world but not being submerged in it. It would be like a boat in water. When the boat is in the water, there's no problem. But when the water is in the boat, you've got problems. It's all right for a Christian to be in the world, but it's not very good for the world to be in the Christian. We exist in the sphere of the world, but we don't let it overcome us. Because we belong to God, we operate in a different dimension. That doesn't mean, however, that we fail to reach into Satan's domain and try to rescue his subjects.


Worldliness
God, who indwells us, is greater than Satan, who operates in the world. That is why a Christian loves God and hates the world's system. It's sad that the system we hate sometimes entangles us in a struggle with worldliness. Worldliness isn't necessarily what you do, as much it is what you think. You can do nothing but still have worldly desires. You may say, "I don't do any worldly things, but I sure would like to!" Worldliness is primarily living to experience the world's passing pleasures.

You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” James 4:4

Spiritual Growth (This is really very interesting…)
The Bible teaches us that there are different levels of spirituality. The Bible talks about:
(1) little children – regulated by affections but not by their understanding, don’t reason things out, delight in their experiences, quickly excited & easily afraid, express relationship with God in an emotional basis rather than a rational one, spiritual ignorance, easily swept away by false doctrines and concerned only about own needs.
(2) young men – has understanding, no longer functions on emotions, potential of spiritual pride, doctrinally strong, not attracted by false doctrines, able to support belief with Scripture, outgrown emotions and feelings and looks to the Word for guidance, concern is to learn the Word of God to become well-established in sound doctrine.
(3) spiritual fathers – delights in God, knows God well (personal, experiential, in-depth), have plumbed the depths of the knowledge of God.
So….what are you? Where do you stand spiritually? Are you growing? Or have you been stagnating?
Spiritual growth is the result of the Word of God and holiness….we are to study the Word of God and walk in obedience of what we learn…that’s holy living… This can be a real struggle…there had been times when I was stuck…struggling to grow…spiritually stagnant…not growing spiritually…and yet unable to discipline myself… Spiritual growth requires determination and consistency….lots of effort…He gives us His Words…speaks to us through it…gives us the ability, potential and desire to grow spiritually…but we have to do our part as well…

Some reminders from Scripture
Ps 119:37 “Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
1 Cor 7:31 “…those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.
Titus 2:11-14 “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

I’m reminded of the price Jesus Christ paid on the cross that we might be redeemed…saved from the clutches of the world…that we might be reconciled to Him. We belong to Him…He paid the greatest price…gave His life…the ultimate sacrifice…so how else should we live…but to please Him…to glorify Him…to love Him…and that means we must hate the world…

any interesting thoughts to share?

No comments: