Friday, July 27, 2007

Don't give up!

Last weekend was pretty disappointing...and a few days later, I was still thinking about how we have been trying to get the youths in this area to come to my place...and how it seems nothing works. I hate waiting...I hate waiting for people to arrive...looking out and expecting people to arrive...soon...I hate that feeling of anticipation...that voice inside that says, "Just wait a while more, someone will come. He will bring the youths here." Maybe, I just have to keep trying and keep waiting. But last weekend, I was really sick of waiting...literally, I felt sooooo bad. I even though, "Maybe I should just stop hoping and expecting...then maybe it won't feel so bad...I won't be so badly disappointed." My human defense mechanisms were kicking in. Then God reminded me...again...this is His work. Why do I go through the same battles week after week? Why haven't I learnt? Then I His words came to mind...this is His LOVE...LOVE that never fails, never gives up...LOVE that always perserveres, always hopes...and this LOVE is for eternity...and so I prayed for His love and strength to sustain me...so that I won't retreat and give up.

This week, we've been teaching "Give them all" to the Sec 2 kids...they're by far, my most difficult class in terms of discipline...because they're an older bunch...and as a class, their attitude towards learning is appalling. But I love them as individuals...take them apart and they're really endearing, except for a few really really difficult ones. Trust them to turn 'give them all' into 'kin taeng mo' (eat watermelon - in Thai)...it totally cracked me up...but it also totally ruined my favourite song. This was the first time I brought guitar into class...and this is the only song I can play decently without looking like an idiot...and they loved it...even though they still can't really sing it...many have come forward to ask if they could learn how to play the guitar. So tada! This Saturday, about 10 of them or so are going to come to my house to learn how to play the guitar. This is something He did...I totally didn't expect it...the only thing I can do is go along with it and pray for these kids...and pray that He will show me what He's doing so I can join in...

Give Them All
Are you tired of chasing pretty rainbows? Are you tired of spinning round and round?
Pick up all the shattered dreams of your life, at the feet of Jesus, lay them down.
Give them all, give them all, give them all to Jesus,
Shattered dreams, wounded hearts, broken toys.
Give them all, give them all, give them all to Jesus,
And He will turn your sorrows into joy.
He never says you'll only see sunshine. He never says there'll be no rain.
He only promised a heart full of singing, at the very thing that once brought pain.

This is the first song I learnt to play the guitar. I can still remember...it was at my Bt Batok home...me and Roy had a bunch of church friends come stay overnight cos my parents were away in M'sia or overseas...and C taught me how to play this song. C has left the church...and turned away from God...I pray that one day, C will return to Him...

No comments: