Language Studies - I am now working on 2 modules that do not require daily lessons with a language helper. Progress has been really slow and difficult. Pray for motivation and discipline.
Children Ministry in Dong Bang - Praise the Lord that He has been bringing more children to my home. Every Saturday, I have Kid’s Club, where they kids come for games, songs and learn about God through strories from the Bible. Much is still unpredictable, but as the kids get to be more familiar with me, it seems that they are learning to trust and even like me. Pray that God will continue to speak to them through the Bible stories, and use me as His channel of love and blessings to them. More of these kids are also going to church with me on Sundays, and tagging along when I go to the next village on Fridays for activities with the kids there.
Youth Ministry at Thalunglek - This is a collaboration between Waeng Yai Church and World Vision to reach out to the youths in this village. We organize activities at the village school every Friday afternoon. So far, the turnout has been pretty ok. However, we do see more of the younger kids coming regularly rather than the youths. We are thankful when the youths do show up. Just 2 Fridays ago, we introduced the Bible to the youths and taught them how to find verses in the New Testament. Pray for the youths who have received the New Testament bibles, that they will hear God speaking to them through His word.
Gambling and Funerals - Since the beginning of April, when there was a funeral in my village, I heard about the gambling. It’s a very popular pastime, with both adults and children. It is not uncommon to see adults gambling in Singapore during funerals or even during the Chinese New Year. However, over here, when I see adults set up a mat and have children in my village gather around to gamble, it troubles me. I’ve heard how many adults are addicted to gambling, yet they do not stop their children from gambling. It’s a horrifying thought what kind of values are passed onto these children. And I suspect gambling is not the only vice that’s being passed on. Drinking, pornography, promiscuity…it really disturbs me. Most of the time, you do not see these things out in the open. But with the funerals (there was one in the beginning of April and one this week) and the Thai New Year (mid-April), I see the children gambling out in the open almost everyday, and most times, it’s an adult who’s ‘organizing’ it. I feel really bad for the children, but and the teacher in me can’t help but want to tell them it’s wrong, that it’s a vice. But who am I to voice my disapproval when everyone else in my village condones it? This last month, there have been many ‘spiritual rituals’ going on…funerals and merit-making at the temple and in individual houses. Pray for me as I’m beginning to feel the strain of the spiritual oppression in this village.
Phii Motdaeng - Please pray for her to grow in her relationship with the Lord, and for God to give her strength and guidance in living out a Christian life in a spiritually oppressive environment. A few months ago, I passed to her a little booklet that gives Thai Christians guidance with regards to a number of Buddhist rituals that most Thais are involved in. It seems she still takes part in merit-making rituals at the village temple and helps out with funerals and various rituals that take place in people’s homes. I’m not sure whether she is actively still worshipping spirits and Buddha or not. Pray for a breakthrough in her faith, and for her to start going to church regularly.
Waeng Yai Church - The partnering church in the next town has broken all ties with us due to misunderstandings. A few of our members have left as a result. Pray for us to find other churches to partner so that the believers in Waeng Yai can have fellowship with other believers in the area. Pray also for the church members to stay strong in their faith and not be embittered by what has happened. Missionaries still play a key role in the leadership of this church. We are still trying to train up leaders. In view of the fact that there will not be any missionaries around for a period of 3 months, pray for God to grow this group of believers to lead themselves and continue to be encouraged to reach out to the people around them.
Children Ministry in Dong Bang - Praise the Lord that He has been bringing more children to my home. Every Saturday, I have Kid’s Club, where they kids come for games, songs and learn about God through strories from the Bible. Much is still unpredictable, but as the kids get to be more familiar with me, it seems that they are learning to trust and even like me. Pray that God will continue to speak to them through the Bible stories, and use me as His channel of love and blessings to them. More of these kids are also going to church with me on Sundays, and tagging along when I go to the next village on Fridays for activities with the kids there.
Youth Ministry at Thalunglek - This is a collaboration between Waeng Yai Church and World Vision to reach out to the youths in this village. We organize activities at the village school every Friday afternoon. So far, the turnout has been pretty ok. However, we do see more of the younger kids coming regularly rather than the youths. We are thankful when the youths do show up. Just 2 Fridays ago, we introduced the Bible to the youths and taught them how to find verses in the New Testament. Pray for the youths who have received the New Testament bibles, that they will hear God speaking to them through His word.
Gambling and Funerals - Since the beginning of April, when there was a funeral in my village, I heard about the gambling. It’s a very popular pastime, with both adults and children. It is not uncommon to see adults gambling in Singapore during funerals or even during the Chinese New Year. However, over here, when I see adults set up a mat and have children in my village gather around to gamble, it troubles me. I’ve heard how many adults are addicted to gambling, yet they do not stop their children from gambling. It’s a horrifying thought what kind of values are passed onto these children. And I suspect gambling is not the only vice that’s being passed on. Drinking, pornography, promiscuity…it really disturbs me. Most of the time, you do not see these things out in the open. But with the funerals (there was one in the beginning of April and one this week) and the Thai New Year (mid-April), I see the children gambling out in the open almost everyday, and most times, it’s an adult who’s ‘organizing’ it. I feel really bad for the children, but and the teacher in me can’t help but want to tell them it’s wrong, that it’s a vice. But who am I to voice my disapproval when everyone else in my village condones it? This last month, there have been many ‘spiritual rituals’ going on…funerals and merit-making at the temple and in individual houses. Pray for me as I’m beginning to feel the strain of the spiritual oppression in this village.
Phii Motdaeng - Please pray for her to grow in her relationship with the Lord, and for God to give her strength and guidance in living out a Christian life in a spiritually oppressive environment. A few months ago, I passed to her a little booklet that gives Thai Christians guidance with regards to a number of Buddhist rituals that most Thais are involved in. It seems she still takes part in merit-making rituals at the village temple and helps out with funerals and various rituals that take place in people’s homes. I’m not sure whether she is actively still worshipping spirits and Buddha or not. Pray for a breakthrough in her faith, and for her to start going to church regularly.
Waeng Yai Church - The partnering church in the next town has broken all ties with us due to misunderstandings. A few of our members have left as a result. Pray for us to find other churches to partner so that the believers in Waeng Yai can have fellowship with other believers in the area. Pray also for the church members to stay strong in their faith and not be embittered by what has happened. Missionaries still play a key role in the leadership of this church. We are still trying to train up leaders. In view of the fact that there will not be any missionaries around for a period of 3 months, pray for God to grow this group of believers to lead themselves and continue to be encouraged to reach out to the people around them.

No comments:
Post a Comment