Sunday, June 08, 2008

I killed my first snake...


Last night...I killed my first snake. I was anything but a pleasant experience. I only did it to defend myself. I still shudder when I think about the whole experience.

I came home to find the whole place covered with the wings of a certain kind of insect that comes just before or after it rains. They come in swarms, attracted to lights at night. They then shed their wings and get eaten up by ants/lizards/frogs etc... When I got back, all I saw were the wings. The predators obviously had their fill. Lizards here are so big and fat!

Before I went to the toilet (I have to go out of my room to go to the toilet), I took a peek at the outside area. There was a snake...not a big one (maybe 80cm long?)...and it was just sliding about. I saw it raise its head as it moved towards the stove...not sure what it was doing. It didn't look poisonous and I thought it would go away. But as I opened the toilet door to step out, the snake was right outside and started to move in a little. *ARRRGHHH!!!*

I splashed some water on it to see what it would do. It simply stayed very still. It was kind of half in and half out so I moved towards it and slammed the flimsy plastic door on it and kicked on the door a few times hoping it would smash the snake. I was hoping to see its guts spill or bleed or something to prove that it was dead. But it just simply stayed very still. I had no 'weapon' since I was trapped in the bathroom and I didn't want to jump over it to get out of the bathroom. I imagined the snake rearing its head up to bite my foot. *panic* I took the toilet brush and aimed for the snake. It moved...it was still alive! It was still at the door. Slammed the door against it a couple of times. (Dang...the toilet brush was stuck against the door as well!)

I still couldn't be sure if it was dead or alive. *praying frantically inside my head* In the meanwhile, it managed to start moving a little a slither into the bathroom to the corner away from the door (and away from me as well *phew!*). I ran out of the bathroom and started to look for something to kill the snake with. I don't own a parang (machete) so I went to my room and grabbed my mop (the sponge kind...I hadn't used it for a while so the sponge was just dried and very hard). I went to the bathroom and used the mop and just whacked the snake for erm maybe around 20 times? It was moving in between whacks so I just kept at it...my mop was coming apart because I was using so much strength. I just had to make sure it was really dead! I couldn't have a snake stay in my bathroom! I smashed its head a couple of time and this time I was really sure it was dead. Although it still hadn't had it guts spill out of had blood oozing out of its mouth. I was panting by then and went to put the mop down so I could grab 2 brooms to just take it out of the bathroom. I was definitely not brave enough to use my bare hands!

When I got back, it was moving!!! Maybe it's something OPPOSITE of rigor mortis...it was simply turning and turning...I was kind of freaked out. But I was sure it was dead and waited for it to stop moving. Finally, I picked it up and flung it onto the grass outside. This morning, the ants were all over it. I'm sure it wouldn't have threatened my life. But I wasn't going to take chances with a snake in the toilet!!!

No comments: