started this a week ago...shall finish this up...finally really have time to just get this done...
...decided that i shan't delay this any longer and sit down to get it all out before the memory of it all fades. i'm in the midst of doing my usual last-minute christmas card making...but that'll have to wait.
some parts may sound quite boring and you may not fully understand what i'm writing about...you can just scroll through if you want...you have been warned. i'll try not to be too longwinded lah...
The 'institute' I visited...
Before I came on this trip, I really had doubts on this institute that I was visiting. By the time I left, God convinced me that He is the one who has planned this trip through the way He provided for the trip and the lesson learnt before I came on the trip. With this institute, I only knew that it was an NGO in Cambodia which focuses mainly on water and that it was set up by American Christians. I really had no idea about the nature of their work and whether there was any ministry to the locals. I just prayed that God would have His lessons for me...
I think I really wanted to know if this was a place where God's ppl were really doing what He wants them to do...not just helping the needy with their physical needs, but is concerned and puts effort in feeding them spiritually as well. And true enough, I was really pleasantly surprised...
I shall not go into the details of what this place does...but I'll tell you what I learnt from them...
Intro - Their main aim is to work with individuals and build relationships with them...and hopefully, that will lead to them knowing and accepting the gospel and become disciples. (I'm talking about the locals.) - Their secondary aim then is helping the community...meeting their physical needs.
I saw how they worked at all levels....1)Individuals - live and work with them...showing them God's love through everyday interactions...sow the seeds when the time is right. 2)Homes - using health education ... 'water' as a bridge to go into their homes...help them and get to know them...educate them and try to meet their needs...show them God's love. 3)Community - 'soften' the ground with 'media'. (The place actually produces karaoke vcds which are really popular with the locals. And the stories in these vcds are taken from the Word...teaches principles from the Word...this 'softens' the ground as it acquaints the people with Biblical principles and stories which teaches them about God...and when they hear the gospel, they will find it easier to comprehend it...
Learning points:
-they really study the local culture and know the people...their religious background, worldview, political situation...i don't think they just learn from the 'books' but they learn through living with the locals and are consciencious to pick up all the different bits of information about them.
-local context...they really focus on the local culture and see what are the 'mediums' that can be used in order to preach the message of the cross to them...karaoke, local dressing/costume, local way of doing drama, storytelling (oral traditions), traditional music, hand symbols...I was really impressed and touched by what they have put in effort to do...
-don't eliminate possibilities and not just stick to the traditional way of doing 'mission'...look at barriers and see how one can establish 'bridges'...not to come in with the mindset of a 'missionary', but as one who comes to live with the local people...to build relationships with them...
-empower the people...teach and guide them to be independent...work 'ourselves' ('missionaries') out of the job...
-don't just limit to working with Christians...when we work with non-believers....we can build relationships with them and share with them...
-be excellent in doing good...give our best to God...to obey Him...
Wrap up:
Sometimes, it just seems so simple...helping those who need help...loving our neighbours...bringing hope and improving people's lives... But there are times when doubts creep in...there are so many needy people out there, how can we help ALL of them?...even if we meet their physical needs, what about their spiritual need?...what if we get so overwhelmed and distracted with helping them that we forget that we are to proclaim the good news to them?
When I look back, God has taught me much this year. In March I went to Thailand and I visited a few churches/organizations...ALC showed me what it was like to reach out to the poor, needly Thai people in the busy city of Bangkok and show them God's love...the people (not all of course) would respond to the Gospel in His time. In June, I helped out in a YFC camp which worked with a neighbourhood school...reaching out to 'problematic' students. And to wrap up the year, God brought me to RDI in Cambodia where I saw just how an NGO can reach out to the masses.
When I think about it, even my assignment on Luke showed me this - that God reached out to the poor, the crippled, the sick...the needy...Jesus healed them, fed them, taught them and gave them hope...He showed them how He can do more than just meet their physical needs. Meeting ppl's needs does show them God's love...it does build a bridge and helps us to move closer to their hearts...
Just what has God taught me? - There are different ways of serving Him and different ways of bringing the Gospel to the people...God calls us and uses us in different ways. Be open to how God wants us to serve Him...to show His love to His people...to proclaim the Gospel to them...
...decided that i shan't delay this any longer and sit down to get it all out before the memory of it all fades. i'm in the midst of doing my usual last-minute christmas card making...but that'll have to wait.
some parts may sound quite boring and you may not fully understand what i'm writing about...you can just scroll through if you want...you have been warned. i'll try not to be too longwinded lah...
The 'institute' I visited...
Before I came on this trip, I really had doubts on this institute that I was visiting. By the time I left, God convinced me that He is the one who has planned this trip through the way He provided for the trip and the lesson learnt before I came on the trip. With this institute, I only knew that it was an NGO in Cambodia which focuses mainly on water and that it was set up by American Christians. I really had no idea about the nature of their work and whether there was any ministry to the locals. I just prayed that God would have His lessons for me...
I think I really wanted to know if this was a place where God's ppl were really doing what He wants them to do...not just helping the needy with their physical needs, but is concerned and puts effort in feeding them spiritually as well. And true enough, I was really pleasantly surprised...
I shall not go into the details of what this place does...but I'll tell you what I learnt from them...
Intro - Their main aim is to work with individuals and build relationships with them...and hopefully, that will lead to them knowing and accepting the gospel and become disciples. (I'm talking about the locals.) - Their secondary aim then is helping the community...meeting their physical needs.
I saw how they worked at all levels....1)Individuals - live and work with them...showing them God's love through everyday interactions...sow the seeds when the time is right. 2)Homes - using health education ... 'water' as a bridge to go into their homes...help them and get to know them...educate them and try to meet their needs...show them God's love. 3)Community - 'soften' the ground with 'media'. (The place actually produces karaoke vcds which are really popular with the locals. And the stories in these vcds are taken from the Word...teaches principles from the Word...this 'softens' the ground as it acquaints the people with Biblical principles and stories which teaches them about God...and when they hear the gospel, they will find it easier to comprehend it...
Learning points:
-they really study the local culture and know the people...their religious background, worldview, political situation...i don't think they just learn from the 'books' but they learn through living with the locals and are consciencious to pick up all the different bits of information about them.
-local context...they really focus on the local culture and see what are the 'mediums' that can be used in order to preach the message of the cross to them...karaoke, local dressing/costume, local way of doing drama, storytelling (oral traditions), traditional music, hand symbols...I was really impressed and touched by what they have put in effort to do...
-don't eliminate possibilities and not just stick to the traditional way of doing 'mission'...look at barriers and see how one can establish 'bridges'...not to come in with the mindset of a 'missionary', but as one who comes to live with the local people...to build relationships with them...
-empower the people...teach and guide them to be independent...work 'ourselves' ('missionaries') out of the job...
-don't just limit to working with Christians...when we work with non-believers....we can build relationships with them and share with them...
-be excellent in doing good...give our best to God...to obey Him...
Wrap up:
Sometimes, it just seems so simple...helping those who need help...loving our neighbours...bringing hope and improving people's lives... But there are times when doubts creep in...there are so many needy people out there, how can we help ALL of them?...even if we meet their physical needs, what about their spiritual need?...what if we get so overwhelmed and distracted with helping them that we forget that we are to proclaim the good news to them?
When I look back, God has taught me much this year. In March I went to Thailand and I visited a few churches/organizations...ALC showed me what it was like to reach out to the poor, needly Thai people in the busy city of Bangkok and show them God's love...the people (not all of course) would respond to the Gospel in His time. In June, I helped out in a YFC camp which worked with a neighbourhood school...reaching out to 'problematic' students. And to wrap up the year, God brought me to RDI in Cambodia where I saw just how an NGO can reach out to the masses.
When I think about it, even my assignment on Luke showed me this - that God reached out to the poor, the crippled, the sick...the needy...Jesus healed them, fed them, taught them and gave them hope...He showed them how He can do more than just meet their physical needs. Meeting ppl's needs does show them God's love...it does build a bridge and helps us to move closer to their hearts...
Just what has God taught me? - There are different ways of serving Him and different ways of bringing the Gospel to the people...God calls us and uses us in different ways. Be open to how God wants us to serve Him...to show His love to His people...to proclaim the Gospel to them...

No comments:
Post a Comment